Happy new year and lang may yer lum reek!

I hope you all had a fabulous New Year or Hogmanay as we call it round these parts! We're lucky here in Comrie to have the flambeaux take place, I wish I had some photos to post but alas I'm not normally to capable of focusing a camera come midnight!  There are some brilliant photos here on Flickr to give you the idea!  The flambeaux torches are lit at midnight and are carried to the North, South, East and West of the village, proceeded by the pipe band and followed by a fancy dress parade, it's quite a spectacle. 

It makes for a fantastic atmosphere as there is a great turnout of villagers and visitors.  It's a good way of welcoming in the New Year with your friends and neighbours without the stress of going to a New Years Eve party which are always an anti climax.  The return of the flambeaux to the square is the signal for everyone to depart and do a bit of first footing.  I think our record was getting back to the house at 5am, not nowadays with two little people in tow..but give it 3 or 4 years!!

I forgot to take photos of most of the presents I made but here is my favourite one!  This sketch book was supposed to be a Christmas present for my friend Anna who was in need of a bit of creative inspiration for the New Year...but in the rush of Christmas it didn't get finished.  It's now winging its way to her as a New Year present, complete with some inspiring quotations and images I know she loves!




I traced to word inspiration on to cream cotton and then embroidered french knots in three shades of turquoise around the outside of the word.  The french knots are raised off the material, giving it a lovely 3D touchy-feely vibe. 

Comments

Popular Posts